Mr. Grubbs is a member of the Sheehy, Ware & Pappas, P.C. insurance litigation, transportation litigation, hospitality law, and labor and employment law sections. He has been a litigator for over twenty years and has considerable first-chair trial experience in the State and Federal Courts and before the Texas Courts of Appeals and the Texas Supreme Court. He cut his teeth defending doctors and nurses from allegations of medical malpractice, including trials involving obstetric and orthopedic negligence while in his second year of practice.
Over the years, Mr. Grubbs has expanded his practice to a variety of disciplines including construction fatalities, trucking, premises liability, construction defects, and commercial matters. Few lawyers in the state, or perhaps the country, have the experience with OSHA litigation as Mr. Grubbs. He has personally managed over 300 OSHA investigations for nearly every industry and occupation, for the employer. To date, Mr. Grubbs has tried over 30 cases to verdicts with impressive results.
- South Texas College of Law (J.D., 1996)
- University of Texas at Austin (B.B.A., 1992)
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Texas Surplus Lines Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
- Themis Advocates Group
Honors and Awards
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Recipient American Jurisprudence Awards – 1995, 1996
- Outstanding Advocate Awards – 1995, 1996
- Intramural Mock Trial Champion
- Interscholastic Mock Trial Team
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Practice Areas and Casework
- Insurance Litigation
- Transportation Law
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Hospitality Law
- Manage large dockets of first party property lawsuits arising out of large scale CAT events such as hurricanes, hail storms and other adverse weather phenomenon.
- Defend several auto carriers from UM/UIM first party exposure.
- Represent a wide variety of industries from third party claims alleging premises liability, negligence, gross negligence, products liability, slips and falls, auto/transportation liability, dram shop, assault/battery, DTPA, and intentional tort claims.
- Regularly handles first party property and third party casualty, products liability, construction defect, trucking/cargo, premises liability and general liability claims for Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s of London. Familiar with the London market and the underwriting/brokerage process at Lloyd’s.
- Regularly defend large regional carrier from liability and cargo claims involving food products.
- Represent a large variety of trucking insurers and their insureds from third party claims involving transportation liability.
- Manage emergency response and on-scene investigations following fatality, haz-mat, and multiple injury transportation related accidents.
Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Defense:
- Defended distributors of the Fen-phen/Redux pharmaceutical combination in nationwide mass tort litigation.
- Represented pedicle screw manufacturers from product liability claims.
- Defended silicone breast implant distributors from products liability claims.
- Manage large litigation docket of employers’ liability for gross negligence lawsuits concerning workplace safety/health and employee fatality claims arising under Labor Code, Sec. 408.001(b) in state and federal courts.
- Defended more than 300 industrial employers from OSHA–DOL inspections and litigation from the initial inspection through formal hearings and appeals to the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
- Regularly defend nonsubscribing Texas corporations from claims alleging injuries and fatalities to employees.
- Successfully defended employers from EEOC and Texas Workforce Commission Civil Rights Division claims for alleged violations of Title VII including race/age/gender discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation claims and defended employers from subsequent civil litigation alleging same.
- Litigated to successful conclusions several common law claims asserted against employers including theft of trade secrets, breach of employment agreement, wrongful termination, confidentiality agreement breaches, claimed noncompete agreement violations and retaliation for filing for workers’ compensation claims.
- Defend large scale bar and restaurant chain from all claims associated with the hospitality industry including impure/adulterated foods, e-coli contamination, dram shop injuries/fatalities, assaults on the premises and slips/trips/falls.
- Regularly defend one of the largest national hotel and restaurant chains from labor and employment complaints and EEOC claims.
- Defended OSHA citations for one of the largest casino chains in the world.
- Carruth v. SCI Texas Funeral Services, Inc., Inc., 221 S.W.3d 134 (Tex. App. — Houston [1st Dist.] 2006, reh’g overruled, July 20, 2006). (Upholding summary judgment for funeral home arising from a lawsuit brought by an ex-husband of a decedent for a funeral home’s failure to follow his burial instructions over the decedent’s daughter.)
- Creel v. Martinez, 176 S.W.3d 516 (Tex. App. — Houston [1st Dist.] 2004, writ denied) (Following trial to jury, obtained judgment for client on appeal.)
- OSHA in Healthcare — What to Do if OSHA Knocks at Your Door, American Health Lawyers Association — Labor and Employment Practice Section (Fall 2005, 4, Issue 3).
- Co-authored, What to Expect and What to Do When OSHA Comes Knocking, in Enterprise Risk Management Handbook for Healthcare Entities 12 (1st ed. 2009).
- Co-authored, Understanding and Managing OSHA from Inspection to Citation to Litigation, in Enterprise Risk Management Handbook for Healthcare Entities 12 (2nd ed. 2012).
- The Basey Case — Get Going Before it Gets Tough — Presented to Texas Mutual Insurance Company (2000).
- OSHA’s New MultiEmployer Worksite Directive — Presented to Texas Mutual Insurance Company (2001).
- FLSA Compliance for Small Business — Captive lecture to small surgery center HR department (2004).
- Selected Topics in Ethics for the Texas Insurance Adjuster — Presented to various insurance carriers and their TPA’s throughout the country (2006).
- OSHA Inspections: Preparations and Actions for Nonsubscribing Employers — presented to the Texas Association of Responsible Nonsubscribing Employers (TXANS) at their Annual Conference in Austin, Texas (2006).
- Employment Law Basics — Presented to the Houston Claims Association (2006).
- The Top 5 Liability Issues Facing the Texas Funeral Director Today — Presented to the Texas Funeral Director’s Association (Summer 2006).
- Being Cute can Get Ugly: Home Care and the FLSA — Presented to the Texas Association for Home Care (2007).
- Arbitration for the Texas Nonsubscriber (Panelist) — Presented to the Texas Association of Responsible Nonsubscribing Employers (TXANS) at their Annual Conference in Austin, Texas (2007).
- General Contractor/Subcontractor Liability Under Redlinger and its Progeny — Presented at the Blakeman and Associates Annual Employment Law Conference (2008).
- Trucking Litigation and DOT Regs for the Carrier — Presented at the 2008 Risk Management Seminar for the Insurance Network of Texas (2008).
- Appointed by the Mayor and City Council for the City of Bellaire, Texas to serve as a member of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board; elected as its Vice President (2005-2011).
- West University Softball Association volunteer