Mr. Kressenberg is the head of the firm’s first party property litigation team. A former law clerk to the Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, he has extensive experience handling all aspects of first party property litigation, including appellate representation.
Over the last 31 years Mr. Kressenberg has litigated and tried numerous complex first party property cases and personal injury cases throughout the United States on both sides of the docket.
In recent years he has had numerous successes in Texas courts of civil appeals and the Texas supreme court in the area of appraisals.
- Baylor University School of Law (J.D., 1986)
- University of California, Berkeley
- State Bar of Texas
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Insurance Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
Honors & Admissions
- State Bar of Texas
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- State Bar of New York
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Seventh Federal Circuits
Practice Areas and Casework
Mr. Kressenberg maintains an active first party docket representing both admitted and surplus lines carriers in commercial and personal lines matters. Typical representation includes coverage matters, contractual and extra-contractual claims, appraisal, and appeals.
He managed the firm’s Hurricane Ike dockets, successfully concluding over 800 claims and lawsuits.
In the appellate arena, Mr. Kressenberg has had notable success in coverage matters (Tsai v. Liberty Mutual, ___ S.W. 3d ___; 2015 WL 6550769, Tex. Civ. App. – Houston [1st Dist.] 2015); appraisal (In Re: Liberty Insurance Corporation, 496 S.W.3d 229, Tex. Civ. App. – Houston [1st Dist.] 2016; Ron Pounds v. Liberty Lloyds of Texas Insurance Company, 528 S.W.3d 222 Tex. Civ. App. – Houston [14th Dist.] 2017); and discovery matters (In Re: Liberty County Mutual Insurance Company, ___ S.W. 3d ___; 2017 WL 4414033, Tex. Civ. App. – Houston [1st Dist.] 2017).
- First Party Insurance Claims
- Mass Toxic Tort Litigation
- Products Liability
- Commercial Litigation
First Party Insurance:
- Successfully concluded over 800 commercial and residential Hurricane Ike claims and lawsuits. He also manages the Firm’s UM/UIM practice.
Mass Toxic Tort Litigation:
- Extensive experience defending and litigating asbestos exposure and benzene exposure claims, including wrongful death cases, on behalf of suppliers and manufacturers.
- Successfully defended component manufacturing clients against property damage claims based in warranty as well as deceptive trade practices.
- Extensive experience in defending and litigating statutory indemnity claims.
- Represents a number of domestic insurance carriers and surplus lines in first party residential and commercial contract and insurance code claims.
- Successfully defended contractor on indemnity and contributions claims stemming from occupational injury accident at a major southeast Texas refinery.
- Represented a small oil production company against internationally known oil field services company for breach of contract involving a joint venture agreement, resulting in favorable recovery for the plaintiff.
Publications & Seminar Presentations
- Mr. Kressenberg has made numerous continuing education presentations to clients concerning Texas first party property law.
- Member, Hermann Park Conservancy
- Member, Museum of Fine Arts – Houston
- Member, The Menil Collection
- Chairman, Houston Bar Association IDEA Committee
- Member, Houston Bar Association Lawyers for Literaracy
- Volunteer, The ReCenter for Recovery
- Volunteer, State Bar of Texas Lawyers’ Assistance Program