Mr. Collins is a litigator in the firm’s Construction Litigation, Insurance, Labor and Employment, and Health Care practice groups. He has experience representing clients in state and federal court at all stages of litigation, including depositions, dispositive motion and injunction hearings, and trial.
Prior to joining Sheehy, Ware & Pappas, P.C., Mr. Collins practiced at a regional law firm based in El Paso, Texas, where he represented clients in a wide variety of civil litigation matters, including complex commercial litigation, labor and employment, and insurance defense.
Mr. Collins graduated from Baylor Law School cum laude in 2013. While at Baylor, he was a member of the Baylor Law Review and the Baylor Barrister Society, and he was a recipient of the Dean’s Academic Excellence Scholarship. Before attending Baylor, Mr. Collins attended Texas A&M University, where he majored in History and English. Mr. Collins graduated from Texas A&M University summa sum laude and was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa honorary society.
Mr. Collins is licensed to practice in the Texas and New Mexico.
Baylor Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2013)
Texas A&M University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2010)
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of New Mexico
- Federal Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Society for Human Resources Management
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Baylor Law Review, Executive Editor
- Baylor Barrister Society
- Strasburger and Price Moot Court Competition, Quarterfinalist and Top Five Speaker
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of New Mexico
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
Practice Areas & Casework
- Construction Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Labor and Employment
- Health Care
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a traffic control company and a governmental entity in a negligence case stemming from an automobile accident.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a traffic control company in a negligence case stemming from a motorcycle accident in which the plaintiff sought over seven figures in damages.
- As lead counsel, obtained favorable resolution of wrongful death claims asserted against a hotel franchisor and franchisee stemming from a nationally reported accident involving an 18-wheeler.
- Assisted in representing a trucking company at trial in a traumatic brain injury case in which the jury entered a complete defense verdict in favor of the client
- Defended employers in state and federal court in cases involving claims under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, and the Texas Labor Code.
- Represented employers in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Texas Workforce Commission, the Texas Department of Insurance, the National Labor Relations Board, the Texas Education Agency, the New Mexico Human Rights Bureau, and the New Mexico Workers Compensation Administration.
- Assisted in representing a general contractor in a case against a roofing subcontractor that resulted in a jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Assisted in representing a general contractor in pursing claims against several entities and individuals stemming from the selection of an individual surety on a private construction project.
- Represented the owner of a commercial shopping center in obtaining a favorable judgment against an electrical contractor following a bench trial.
- Assisted in representing an individual plaintiff in a complex insurance dispute that ultimately resulted in a seven-figure settlement for the client.
- Obtained complete dismissal of federal civil rights and negligence claims asserted against a private medical contractor, a governmental entity, and several medical professionals.
- Obtained dismissal of federal civil rights claims asserted against a registered nurse by an inmate.
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, Discrimination and Harassment Issues in the Workplace, El Paso Society of Human Resources Management (2017)
- Presenter, Form I-9 Update, El Paso Society of Human Resources Management (2017)
- Presenter, Onboarding and the Employee Selection Process, El Paso Society of Human Resources Management (2016)
- Presenter, New Overtime Regulations, El Paso Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants (2016)
- Presenter, Update on the Department of Labor’s Final Overtime Rule, Southern New Mexico Society of Human Resources Management (2016)
- Presenter, Tips for Completing the Form I-9, Southern New Mexico Society of Human Resources Management (2015)
- Presenter, Employees Leaving You Hanging? How to Handle Leave Requests Under the FMLA and Requests for Accommodation under the ADAAA, El Paso Society of Human Resources Management (2015)
- Presenter, Same-Sex Marriage and LGBT Issues in the Workplace, El Paso Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section (2015)
- Presenter, I-Spy, I-9: Tips from Audit Pitfalls, El Paso Society of Human Resources Management (2014)
- Author, Social Media Advice that Both Employers and Employees Will “Like,” El Paso Bar Journal (2014)
- Author, Another Hairball For Employers? “Cat’s Paw” Liability for the Discriminatory Acts of Co-Workers After Staub v. Proctor Hospital, 64 Baylor L. Rev. 908 (2012) (named one of best law review articles in employment law by the State Bar of Texas Labor and Employment Law Section)
Mr. Collins is a native Houstonian. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and dogs, traveling, and rooting for Houston sports teams. He is a member of Christ Church Cathedral in downtown Houston.