Mr. Karel began his legal career in Houston, Texas in 1986 as a general practitioner whose work included representing financial institutions and business owners in several areas including landlord/tenant disputes, financial services, as well as employment and general liability matters. Since 1989, he has had an active trial practice in labor and employment law, construction litigation, transportation, and general tort litigation. Mr. Karel regularly represents:
- All types of employers in a wide variety of labor and employment law matters;
- Property owners and transportation companies in premises liability and motor vehicle accident litigation;
- General and subcontractors in construction accident claims, construction defect litigation, and OSHA investigations; and
- Restaurants and other food service providers in both general liability and food safety issues.
Mr. Karel also routinely consults with clients on an extensive range of risk management issues related to labor and employment law, construction, and transportation fields.
- University of Texas School of Law, (J.D., 1985)
- Marquett University, (B.A., 1974)
- State Bar of Texas
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Captain, Infantry, U.S. Army 1974-1979
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Practice Areas and Casework
- Labor and Employment Law
- Trucking and Transportation
- Construction Accident and Construction Defect Litigation
- Premises Liability
- Restaurant and Food Service General Liability and Food Safety
- General Trial Law
Labor and Employment Law:
- Lead Counsel for several “big box” Fortune 500 companies on labor and employment law matters.
- Handles EEOC claims from initial investigation through complete EEOC process for a variety of employers including convenience stores, financial institutions, construction firms, and food service establishments.
- Panel Counsel for major domestic carrier and represents its insureds in a variety of labor and employment law related matters.
Trucking and Transportation:
- Handles personal injury, property damage, and environmental claims for a large domestic petroleum transport company.
- Handles personal injury, property damage, and related litigation for local and regional fleet owners.
Construction Accident and Construction Defect Litigation:
- Lead Counsel for general contractors, subcontractors, and owners in construction accident and construction defect claims, as well as OSHA investigation, to include defense and prosecution of indemnity actions for personal injury and property damage claims caused by alleged negligence of other responsible parties.
- Handles a large number of cases for national, regional, and local businesses involving a variety of premises liability claims including slip and falls, physical security, false imprisonment, and general negligence.
Restaurant and Food Service General Liability and Food Safety:
- Lead Counsel for a number of national and local restaurants and other food service providers in a variety of matters including general liability, premises, foreign object in food, and food-borne illness matters.